© Fontdue, 2022
To collect VAT from EU customers, you must enter rates to collect from each EU member country.
- Navigate to Settings → Sales tax.
- Under VAT countries, add the country in which you operate, and your VAT number for the country. Domestic reverse-charge rules vary country to country, check with your accountant if this is applicable to you. See below for details.
- Add VAT rates for each country. You must add a rate for every EU country in the dropdown.
Customers who enter an EU country in the billing step of the checkout are prompted to enter their VAT number.
- If the customer does not enter a VAT number, the full VAT is always collected.
- If they do enter a VAT number, we check if they're in the same country as you.
- If they are not in the same country, cross-border reverse-charge rules apply, and the VAT is set to €0.
- If they are in the same country as you, we check the Domestic reverse-charge setting which you set in the settings.
- If this checkbox is checked, reverse-charge applies and VAT is set to €0.
- If not, the full VAT is collected.
VAT not applicable
If your company is exempt from collecting EU VAT, check the VAT not applicable checkbox under the EU VAT settings. Checking this box will ensure that customer invoices contain a line item containing “VAT not applicable” with a zero value. You may add an additional (optional) message explaining the reason for not collecting VAT.